On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 07:36:05 Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:

> Yes, filtering on the SA X-Spam Status or Level headers is the way to
> go. After you found and fixed where SA gets called a second time
> (actually the first time), these won't be harmed and overwritten -- and
> useful for filtering.
>
> Anyway, the secret why the above procmail recipe doesn't work is simply,
> because procmail uses a rather limited sub-set of REs and its own
> flavor. It's not PCRE.
>
> In particular procmail does not understand {x,y} range quantifiers, but
> treats that part as a plain string to match. Which doesn't.
> (Caveat: From memory, not actually looked it up again for verification.)

Ah, thankyou. Despite googling for lots of stuff on procmail I've not been
able to find a definitive reference for what can and can't be used in a
procmail recipe. Maybe I just haven't use the right search terms (or maybe I
just haven't understood what I've read). Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

> Oh, yeah, these do ring quite some bells... ;)
>
> After you fixed your mail processing chain to not have SA chew twice on
> the spam -- you should manually train Bayes, feeding it a lot of hand
> classified spam, and possibly ham. Check your 'sa-learn --dump magic'
> numbers. The Bayes score of 0.1 is way out of line.

Agreed. I do run sa-learn --spam (actually now have it scheduled to run weekly
on a folder into which I drop all the non-classified spam messages) and --ham
(on a folder with messages that were false-positives).

> Note though, that a previous site-wide SA filter might use a site-wide
> user, not the one owning the procmail recipe. Thus Bayes scores might
> suddenly change once it's run per user. Check the numbers and
> performance for the user you'll use after fixing the chain issue.
>
> > > You need to fix whatever is causing the message to be scanned twice.
> >
> > OK - that makes sense. Now I'm wondering if there is a global mail config
> > somewhere that is routing the message through SA, and then my local
> > .procmailrc is doing it again. Time to go digging...
>
> Site-wide /etc/procmailrc, SMTP server milter, transport or similar, or
> even something like Amavis in the chain?

There is no /etc/procmailrc, no milter that I'm aware of, running
fetchmail/sendmail/dovecot. This machine doubles as my home mail server/file
server and desktop machine. The only reason I'm running IMAP is so that I can
access the same mail from my laptop or netbook when I need to (and I used to
run squirrelmail to allow access remotely via https webmail, but not any
more).

> > That then leaves the question as to why my procmail recipe isn't
> > triggering on the rewritten subject, but that is probably not for this
> > list.
>
> It's sufficiently related. ;)  See above.

Thanks again. :-)

Rodney Baker
rod...@jeremiah31-10.net
web: www.jeremiah31-10.net