Summary for the impatient:
Do not write rules like this.
Instead, train Bayes, make sure you're using DNSBLs.

On 11/25/2011 09:49 AM, Sergio wrote:
> I wrote all the HELO spammers that SA didn't caught
> header   CHARLY_RULE1    ALL =~ /(...)/i
> describe CHARLY_RULE1    Charly Spammers
> score    CHARLY_RULE1    11

Given the description in your email, that should probably be:

header   CHARLY_RULE1    X-Spam-Relays-Untrusted =~ / helo=(?:...) /i
describe CHARLY_RULE1    A custom list of uncaught relay HELOs
score    CHARLY_RULE1    4

You should be *very* careful about scoring any individual rule at or
above the spam flagging threshold (default is 5, do not lower).  There
is almost always a better (and safer!) solution.

> My concern is, is too much for just one rule or the rule can grow
> without limit?

Let's just say you don't need to worry about that.  We have several 150+
character rules on SA's trunk and I've seen rules with regexp lengths in
the thousands (not that that's necessarily a good thing, but it does
work, albeit slowly).

Still, this seems like a really bad idea; one hammy HELO in there and
the whole thing starts hurting.  I think you'll be *far* better served
by training bayes.

You should also double check to ensure your DNS lookups are properly
configured and plugins like Razor are turned on.  We don't have the best
of resources to walk you through this, but you can start with
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#Questions_And_Answers