On 2011-11-30 13:40, Paul Houselander wrote:
Hi

Bit of an unusal question but ive been getting increasing questions of
why spamassasin didnt classify an email as spam.

When I look at the mail its normally an opt-in mailing list of some kind
and therefore spamassasin is correct in not classifying it as spam.

I have had numerous conversations with users explaining opt-in mailing
lists are not spam - if you dont want it unsubscribe to it, however its
getting so frequent now I was wondering if anyone had created a set of
rules that would fire on the characteristics of mailling lists? e.g.
unsubscribe links in the email, CANSPAM mentioned in body etc...

Then when someone complains ill enable the rules to stop them bothering me.

If not ill look at writing some myself, if anyone has suggestions on
what to look for on opt-in lists please let me know.

I assume your question was not supposed to trigger a discussion of what is spam, and this company spammed me and, and, and...

Basicaly there are no generic rules for opt-in spam, because "your spam is my ham"

What you require to catch your spam is up to you to decided.

The easiest is to blacklist sender (tho they may change if the use tagged send senders)

Next choice: URLs in uri rules - these are fast and efficient
(SA 3.4 , comming up when its ready, will alow your to blacklist URI hosts without having to write extra hi scored URI rules)

Next: look at bulk mailer's X headers. Most bulk tools have consistent headers which let you tag every msg from a "blaster" type with little effort.

next obvious path is to use meta rules with a collection of traits which will get rid of your so called "opt-in" mail

It's all up to you to make a choice which fits you best fr your traffic and your user base... mainly because "your spam is my ham"

Axb