On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 21:37:36 +0100
Martin Gregorie <mar...@gregorie.org> wrote:

> True enough. I just wanted to provide a concrete example of extra
> stuff the plug-in could do and why that could be useful. It hadn't
> occurred to me until just now that SPF_PASS can be triggered by
> slovenly and/or careless SPF configurations as well as by careful
> set-ups and that this fact prevents you assigning any spam-related
> value to an SPF_PASS indication and reinforces my argument about SPF
> being useful against backscatter and not much else.

SPF has *never* been advocated as an anti-spam measure by the people
who developed it.

And looking for +all or ?all is not enough; you can easily simulate
+all with ip4:0.0.0.0/1 ip4:128.0.0.0/1 or countless other combinations.

So I think my stance will be proven correct:  In general, one should
only ever penalize domains for failing SPF.  You should never treat an
SPF "pass" as something good except for specific trusted domains.

Regards,

David.