On 8/15/2012 4:19 PM, Kris Deugau wrote:
> John Hardin wrote:
>> I wasn't aware that autolearning could do a cold-start of Bayes, can
>> anyone confirm whether this is the case?
>
> If you let it run long enough to pass the 200/200 ham/spam thresholds,
> yes;  there's no distinction I've ever met about where the learning came
> from.
>
> That said, I wouldn't trust a pure autolearn setup with stock autolearn
> thresholds - all too much spam will get learned scoring under 0.1.  :(
>
> -kgd

It's a bit disappointing to learn this (pardon the pun), given:

a.) This exchange between John Hardin and I, which occurred previously
in this thread:

---8<--------------------------

Me:

> Most of the list is probably laughing, but given the complexity of Spam
> Assassin, this crucial requirement was lost on me, amidst the sea of
> information and instructions. For example, there is no mention of the
> fact that SA is essentially useless without Bayesian training on
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/StartUsing .

John:

That's because that shouldn't be the case. The base ruleset + URIBL
should be very effective pretty much out-of-the-box.

---8<--------------------------

b.) The default value for bayes_auto_learn is 1 (on). (At least in my
particular distribution.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this issue's root cause seems to be that
bayes_auto_learn was on, out-of-the-box, yet I was not complementing its
efficacy via sa-learn.

Is this an accurate summary? Because if so, it seems prudent to change
the default bayes_auto_learn value to zero, and scorn any package
maintainer or developer who modifies it, or, alternatively, put a
banner, at font-size 100em, on the SpamAssassin homepage that issues an
unmistakable warning about Bayesian training's importance.

(John, I'll respond to your most recent message tomorrow most likely;
had enough for one day!)

Thank you,

-Ben