On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 20:49 -0400, Joseph Acquisto wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 18:54 -0400, Joseph Acquisto wrote:
> >
> >> perl Makefil.pl (in spamassasin extract folder) gives this:
> >>
> >> Checking if your kit is complete...
> >> Looks good
> >> Warning: prerequisite Mail::DKIM 0.31 not found.
> >> Writing Makefile for Mail::SpamAssassin
> >> Problem?
> >>
> > Yes - perl-net-addr-ip has a dependency on Mail::DKIM
> >
> > You can either:
> >
> > - use cpan to get that module and then repeat the cycle until you
> >   have satisfied all dependencies
> >
> > - install cpanm, which should do the same as cpan except that it also
> >   checks for dependencies and automatically installs any missing
> >   modules. Instructions for doing that are at
> >   http://cpan.perl.org/modules/INSTALL.html
> >

> > Martin
>
> Well, this is fun.  However, cpanm is not resolving all dependencies (or,
> perhaps, any).  At this point I am failing when
> cpanm Crypt::OpenSSL::RSA, which leads me to try cpanm Crypt::OpenSSL::Random
>
> Which fails as shown below:
>
> 5/5.8.8/i586-linux-thread-multi/CORE"   Random.c
> Random.xs:5:26: error: openssl/rand.h: No such file or directory
> Random.xs: In function #XS_Crypt__OpenSSL__Random_random_bytes#:
> Random.xs:23: warning: implicit declaration of function #RAND_bytes#
> Random.xs:25: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
> #Perl_newSVpv# d
> iffer in signedness
> Random.xs: In function #XS_Crypt__OpenSSL__Random_random_pseudo_bytes#:
> Random.xs:50: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
> #Perl_newSVpv# d
> iffer in signedness
> Random.xs: In function #XS_Crypt__OpenSSL__Random_random_seed#:
> Random.xs:71: warning: implicit declaration of function #RAND_seed#
> Random.xs:72: warning: implicit declaration of function #RAND_status#
> Random.xs: In function #XS_Crypt__OpenSSL__Random_random_egd#:
> Random.xs:87: warning: implicit declaration of function #RAND_egd#
> make: *** [Random.o] Error 1
>
> I used to marvel when neighbors dog chased his tail for fun . . . (the dog .
> . . his own . . .)

Are you sure that's not a problem with some C that the Perl OpenSSL is
trying to use? It certainly looks more like a C problem than a Perl one.
At that point I run out of ideas because my Perl is rather weak.

If I was in your shoes, I'd have followed Axb's approach and forced a
complete package upgrade following by installing the extra Perl modules
from the SUSE package library. I use Fedora and in my case the upgrade
command would be "yum distro-sync full". I used it earlier this week to
sort out a package version clash that was stopping routine updates from
happening.

If I have Perl problems I only use CPAN after I'm absolutely sure that
the modules I need aren't in the distro repository: I trust yum's
dependency checking rather more than that of CPAN.

Martin