On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:

Bear in mind, that will tell you whether those configuration files are
syntactically correct; that does not tell you anything about whether or
not those are the files the spamd daemon is using.

Take a look at the script that starts spamd. It may have a hardcoded path
to the configuration directory.

The /etc/init.d/spamd file has a hardcoded reference to that specific file.
I'm pretty sure  it is the one being read.

OK.

However, I am not so certain others are not being read later.

There should be a reference to a directory, SA will read all the .cf files in that directory. Does it have a -C, --configpath or --siteconfigpath option defined with a directory?

I find a lot of references, for example, to BAYES_99 in /usr/share/spamassassin/blah.cf. I certainly don't know if these would override the setting in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.

Local settings should override standard settings, so no.

/usr/share/spamassassin is the base install directory. There is another directory that sa-update populates that is read after the base directory. Then the local configs are read. Last one read, wins.

"spamassassin --lint -D" should output all the directories being used; you can use the same command-line options given to spamd to configure "spamassin --lint -D" the same way

  Yet another example of a Mexican doing a job Americans are
  unwilling to do.   -- Reno Sepulveda, on UniVision reporters asking
                        President Obama some pointed questions about
                        the BATFE Fast and Furious scandal.
 3 days until the 1934th anniversary of the destruction of Pompeii