On Feb 20, 2014, at 8:07 PM, Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgr...@pccc.com> wrote:

> No need to run through 3.3.2.  The emails are well over the 256KB limit hard
> coded in sa-learn with 3.3.2.

Understood, and thanks for checking on this.  Now that I know this is the
problem, I've manually edited Mail::SpamAssassin::ArchiveIterator.pm to change
the BIG_BYTES limit from 256K to 1500K (which I've found is a reasonable size
for my small system).  I've verified that this change allows sa-learn to work
properly for these messages.

Is there any reason that such a manual edit could cause problems elsewhere, or
am I safe to have made this change?  (Neglect the fact that large messages
could cause high loads, my system can handle that.)

Or, would you recommend that instead of making this change, I just set opt_all
=> 1 in sa-learn's instantiation of ArchiveIterator?  (That is, modify sa-learn
instead of ArchiveIterator.)

Now, that brings up the other question: I have other mails that are well below
the 256K limit (and certainly below the 1500K limit I just made), but they are
still not being examined by sa-learn.  These messages are pretty old (from July
2013) ... are they being ignored because they are too old?  I don't see that
sa-learn is using opt_before or opt_after for Archive_Iterator, and I don't see
anywhere else where it's excluding old messages... and there are no errors in
the debug output, but I'm still getting "0 message examined."

This sample mbox of old mails is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvbmvk8pb06v0m8/SA_testspam_old.mbox

If it's being ignored based on date, how would I know that?

Sorry for being dense. =)

Thanks.

--- Amir