On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:55:44 +0100
Alex Woick <a...@wombaz.de> wrote:

> It's actually quite easy to build a SA 3.4 rpm for Centos 6. I
> downloaded the existing Fedora Core 21
> spamassassin-3.4.0-2.fc21.src.rpm from the FC 21 source repository
> and did a --rebuild on a Centos 6 machine.
>
> The resulting rpm works almost as drop-in replacement for 3.3.0.
>
> "Almost" means you only have to re-add the -d parameter in
> /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin that was removed since 3.3.0. If you
> don't do this, spamd will not start in background but in foreground,
> and the start script hangs.
> I don't know why -d was removed, probably due to changes due to
> systemd use instead of upstart. But although fc21 is systemd-based,
> the spec file still includes a init.d script when built on Centos 6
> and will omit systemd-related things.

Hi there. (One of) the Fedora spamassassin package maintainers here.

Yes, that was changed for the systemd side of things to allow it to log
to journal and more closely/directly monitor the spamd process.

I've conditionalized that now so that it should build/do the right
thing on el distros again. So, you shouldn't need to make any changes
from the rawhide src.rpm to build yourself.

I have also created a copr for el5/el6:

http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/kevin/spamassassin-el/

Feedback welcome on those packages/repo (Please send directly to me,
don't file Fedora bugs on it). Hopefully folks find them useful.

Thanks,

kevin