On 05/25/2014 05:59 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
On Sun, 25 May 2014 16:40:44 +0200
Axb <axb.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

Axb> URIBL rules are not set to use 'userconf' (user configuration)
Axb> so entries in user_prefs shouldn't affect the results

Axb> if anything it should go in a system wide rule (ie: local.cf) (not
Axb> user_prefs)

Axb> your: tflags URIBL_DBL_SPAM autolearn_force

Axb> should probably read:

Axb> tflags URIBL_DBL_SPAM net domains_only autolearn_force

Axb> etc, etc - and not in user_

Axb> iirc, this will also influence Bayes's scoring/learning behaviour.
Axb> modifying rules' tflags should be done with care

But it does autolearn in _some_ instances:

May 25 08:33:50 host spamd[13561]: spamd: result: Y 10 -
BAYES_99,BAYES_999,HTML_FONT_LOW_CONTRAST,HTML_MESSAGE,MIME_HTML_ONLY,
RDNS_NONE,SPF_PASS,T_REMOTE_IMAGE,URIBL_BLACK,URIBL_DBL_SPAM,URIBL_JP_SURBL
scantime=1.7,size=6496,user=itz,uid=1000,required_score=4.3,rhost=127.0.0.1,
raddr=127.0.0.1,rport=52900,
mid=<24251386609892242521126914206...@lun5bim.dollazo.eu>,bayes=1.000000,
autolearn=spam autolearn_force=yes (URIBL_JP_SURBL,URIBL_DBL_SPAM,URIBL_BLACK)

Yes, when it reached certain conditions and a score above 15.0

you can tune that score via local.cf entries:

bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam

Depending on your traffic, you may want to raise/lower those scores.
There's default "safe" settings but playing with those score helps tune learning "sensitivity".

The whole autolearning settings thing just feels way unpredictable for
me.

It feels unpredictable because of the overwhelming amount of variables which influence learning. Just stick to experimenting with settings till you find the best performance for your traffic. There is no "one size fits all" because each system's ham/spam traffic can be so different.

If there are so many hurdles, does anyone actually do it?

Since Bayes was added to SA, I've used nothing else.
(2004? 2005?).