I checked the whois of several domains that I recorded hitting us with spam
last week.  I reported this to the registrar, Enom, Inc.

As of today all the domains that that I checked had their owner changed to N4S
GROUP COMMUNICATION (N4SGROUPCOMM.COM). So it seems something caused a change
at Enom.  However, N4SGROUPCOMM.COM, when visited, runs a set of java scripts
that eventually redirect one to a site that is blocked by Mozilla as a web
forgery.  It is also listed as untrustworthy by WOT.  That site's true
ownership is masked by a Go Daddy service called DOMAINSBYPROXY.COM.  However,
the domain N4SGROUPCOMM.COM is 'privacy protected' by our friends at moniker,
the same people that 'protected' the identity of the original registered
owner, VVSDATABASEREL.COM

I was at a loss to explain this.  On the one hand the original owner has been
changed since my complaint; whether coincidentally or not.  On the other the
site owner has been changed to an even more unsavoury entity.

>From following the contact information I discovered that some of the domains
used in the spam attack last week redirect one to
http://www.whoisprivacyprotect.com which WOT lists as a known malware watering
hole.  WOT also has comments stating that whoisprivacyprotect.com is a
subsidiary of Enom itself.  This, as it turns out, is correct as shown at
http://www.enom.com/privacy-protection/ which advertises the fact.

Regardless of Enom's purported size, what does this say about the registrar's
ethics and the domains it hosts?  Should such companies and their clients be
boycotted and thereby coerced into dealing with these frauds?

James B. Byrne                mailto:byrn...@harte-lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3