On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM, David F. Skoll <d...@roaringpenguin.com>
wrote:

> The DNS software that serves the zone newdomain.example.net runs
> the following pseudo-code when "example.org" is looked up:
> [..]

So.... who's volunteering to do this? :)

*raises hand*

I still have an experimental DNS server (written in Perl) lying around that
this more-or-less what is described here. The overall system would need a
bit more thought, though.

* Distributed over n nodes. Given that data can have pretty long TTL, it
does not need a lot of nodes, but still the distributed nature brings some
challenges.
* Definition of the granularity of data - should a "first seen" date be
returned, or an age (in days?)
* Querying whois servers is not practical at that scale.
* How would the queries be sent to the nodes? Domain-based BL-type queries?
* Would the SA project take on some operational responsibilities?
* The dnswl.org project can sponsor resources and take on some operational
aspects, but we would welcome some support.

-- Matthias