On Tue, 2014-07-01 at 22:40 -0500, Steve Bergman wrote:
> On 07/01/2014 10:21 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> >
> > http://spamassassin.apache.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html
> > http://spamassassin.apache.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Plugin_AutoLearnThreshold.html
>
> I've read those over and over. It never says anything about where the
> data is maintained, or whether it's per-user or not. The *only* solid
> claim I have is a ten year old (yes, at the dawn of SA Bayes) post which
> specifically says it's in memory, system-wide, and lost upon SA restart.

Those do not tell you about using file or SQL based databases? You never
thought about googling for "spamassassin per user" and friends? You
never checked the SA wiki?

FWIW, the links given do NOT refer to in-memory only at all.

An in-memory only Bayes database definitely is much more than ten years
ago. If it ever existed. No need for me to even check.

> > Milter usually means system-wide. (But since you just asked, it is.)
>
> I'm using spamass-milter. It suid's to the recipient user for most
> mails. For aliases it defaults to a particular user who gets an
> unbelievable amount of spam at the gate, and whom I know sorts his
> ham/spam religiously.

So you want to check back with your specific setup and its docs.
Suid'ing is pretty likely to be per-user, though the definition of user
is not specifically clear in the context of a milter (and the final
recipient).

In either case, that is not SA specific. (SA happily uses both, per-user
or site-wide config AND bayes database, depending on context.) Refer to
your milter's docs.

> > Irrespective of your feeling -- cheers!  /me having a beer
>
> Whew! After the conversations I've had here, today, I need one, too! ;-)

Don't see this as an attack on you. It isn't. Just pointers on helping
your understanding of the situation and your issues. Not always gentle,
but that also reflects the initial stance.