On 07/02/2014 11:12 AM, John Hardin wrote:

A week or so back they briefly listed some of the MailControl.com MTAs,
due to apparent exploits. They were quickly removed, though.

So the message here is that some DNSBL's are better than others about including and removing addresses quickly and responsibly. Perhaps. I take no position on that.

But that does not address the issue of collateral damage to users which share an ISP's email server with someone else who happened to get a spam through and reported back to the DNSBL.

Not long ago, I had another client blocked from sending response emails to their on-line customers about their purchases. Turned out one of the users on the hosting provider's system had sent some spam. Now the hosting provider (Webfaction) is quite responsible, very diligent, and has *fantastic* support. (I can recommend them for dynamic language language apps with no reservations.) But guess what? The DNSBL's interface for interacting with them was down. For over a week. (We're sorry, but... Please come back when... No guaranty as to...) And emails to the affected customers were blocked for all that time.

I use DNSBL's. But I don't like them. SA is indispensable. I like it. But it's a huge compilation of kluges that happen to mostly work.

Expedient. Pragmatic. Not a real solution to the actual problem.

-Steve