On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 17:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org> wrote:

> I'm not excusing their approach, but I'm saying there are a lot of
> sources of real-world friction that lead to suboptimal solutions like
> this. I expect the desire to avoid requiring installation (and
> maintenance!) of PGP/GPG by their (assumed non-technical) customers
> is the primary reason they are doing it this way.

Yes.

Symantec is the real culprit here.  It is actively encouraging the
compromising of computers with the workflow of its product.

The proper approach would have been to make freely available a
"Symantec Encrypted Archive" viewer, similar to how Adobe makes PDF
readers freely available.

Symantec of all companies should know better.

Regards,

David.