On 8/4/2014 4:45 PM, RobertGrimes wrote:

I would prefer to stay out of the DNS server business if possible, but I
will study that as an option. I use google 8.8.8.8 which obviously is a
highly used one.

Yes, if you use Google's DNS, all of the rate-limiting blacklists will refuse you.

A) is there a way to have SA use some other DNS only

I'm not entirely sure. However, a caching DNS needs no maintenance, so once you set it up, you don't need to worry about it anymore. And once you set it up for SA, the whole machine can use it without any extra configuration.

Also, a local DNS will most likely be faster than the remote DNS anyway.

B) is there a better DNS to use in general if A is not possible.

No. Any public DNS will have the same problem. To avoid it, you need to set up your own. The only one I am familiar with is Bind (http://www.isc.org/downloads/bind/). The download links are a bit hard to find... Once you get there, download the current stable version for windows 32-bit or 64-bit, whichever you need. It may run as a caching server out of the box, I'm not entirely sure. I haven't used it on Windows before. The install process may help you set it up depending on how they have packaged it. Worst case, you may need to change one or two lines in the config file.

Thanks for all the help. At least I am getting a better plan and whole lot
more understanding!

No problem.  Good luck!

--
Bowie