>> All of this doesn't translate to the end-user, though. There's no way I
>> could ever set up a set of rules, in the form of an end-user doc, that
>> could be used to describe when to unsubscribe and when not to, and under
>> what conditions an email can be trusted and when it shouldn't (beyond what
>> they already know about when to trust a website and when not to).

I sometimes wonder whether there should be a common feature in mail systems to
tell
the system to expect newsletters or mailing list mail, and to encourage end
users to use that.
feature. This would tell filters to allow certain mails through, and would keep
a record
so that the complaining user could be reminded of having allowed the mails.
I am sending out a low-volume (about twice a month) newsletter with
subscription and confirmation,
and I see a small share of mails that are rejected at the MTA level, i.e. the
recipient
would not be able to mark the message as non-spam
On my own inbox, I am filtering mails not addressed to me (or to more than a
dozen
recipients at a time), so I am used to actively enable list mails
To be feasible, it would mean that a newsletter / mailing list sender should
reveal the
sending address at subscription time and stick to it

Wolfgang Hamann