Hi,

>> For the Nigerian 419 spam, the last thing you want to do is reply to it
:)

> unsubscribe doesn't mean "reply"
>
> where I sit, if you can't unsubscribe with ONE click, they get the hard
block

All of this doesn't translate to the end-user, though. There's no way I
could ever set up a set of rules, in the form of an end-user doc, that
could be used to describe when to unsubscribe and when not to, and under
what conditions an email can be trusted and when it shouldn't (beyond what
they already know about when to trust a website and when not to).

I can't even tell you how many times I get emails from "Lead IT Technician"
that includes a forwarded message from an end-user where the only thing in
the body includes "This user is complaining they received a spam". This
Lead IT guy can't even investigate himself whether it's spam, or have
enough sense to instruct the end-user on what to do.

>> Which is why we can't rely on them to unsubscribe, and need another way
of
>> stopping it coming in.
>
> Most "bulkers" have nice dedicated X headers which you can use to
tag/reject

And that can't be easily spoofed? Or do you mean mail from ConstantContact,
for example? Those can already be blocked on Received headers. They're also
normally pretty reputable, so it's tough to just outright reject those.

What about those emails, which are most certainly unsolicited, from people
selling marketing lists? Or VoIP phone systems? They are legit, have legit
unsub links and web sites, phone numbers, etc. But they're unsolicited.

Shouldn't there be SA rules to block these already? Our users never
complain about them, because I just think they don't know they're not
unsolicited and think they somehow got signed up for something.

Thanks everyone for the great conversation.
Alex