On Sep 8, 2014, at 7:45 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann <guent...@rudersport.de> wrote:

> Opinions? Discussion in here, or should I move this to dev?

Given that TLDs can and do change on a timescale more frequent than many people
update their version of SA (myself included), I would vote for a method that
treats this as a configuration or whatever that could receive automatic updates.

My feeling is: primary functionality, i.e. code, should be fixed and tied to
versioning; variables, i.e. settings, rules, and other things that need to
evolve or get tweaked, should be changeable either automatically or manually.
For this kind of back-end variable that must evolve but isn't something an
end-user would normally touch, an automatic update like for the main rules
block is appropriate.

If there's a way to do that without an ugly hack, I think it's the best option.
The one-time speed hit during initial load is negligible, and it would prevent
exactly the problem I had to bother you guys about, and spend both my time and
yours, trying to debug. I am reasonably tech-savvy and could resolve this
reasonably quickly, but it could have easily gone on much longer and been more
frustrating for all involved.

An automated method would prevent a number of problems, and since the allowed
TLDs are evolving, I think it makes the most sense. I can't speak to a specific
implementation, but -something- automated...

Thanks.

--- Amir
thumbed via iPhone