On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 09:55 -0500, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 2/5/2015 9:03 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> > Kevin A. McGrail skrev den 2015-02-05 14:18:
> >> Rather than learning more about how path and cron works, perhaps just
> >> symlink things like gpg to /usr/bin might be easier. Gpg is used to
> >> verify the authenticity of the update.
> >
> > or remove bad installers of gpg ? :=)
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
>
> I'd be a pot calling a kettle black because I use /usr/local all the
> time to build on top of distros.

That's what its for.

Anything you build yourself, whether written inhouse or from third
parites. should go there, along with non-standard libraries
(/usr/local/lib), config files (/usr/local/etc) and manpages
(/usr/local/man) This way you can't accidentally splat a system file or
have a new system file thats part of an upgrade splat one of your files.
Besides, if you move /usr/local to a partition that's not usually
reformatted as part of a major system upgrade and replace it with a
symlink then everything in /usr/local will survive the upgrade without
needing to be reinstalled or rebuilt.

Martin