I'm not sure whether or not I have enabled requiring valid rDNS... given
how many legitimate mailservers out there don't have proper rDNS,

how many? I'm happy to block them for years...
From what I've see, the effectivness and false positives depends mostly on the countries sending email to your users.

Off the cuff, I'd say it has it's roots in the mid 90's when AOL was a 1000lb gorilla and pushed the rptr for mail servers. I think much of Europe and NA complied.

However, I see a TON of legit mail, for example, coming out of the Pacific Rim countries with no rptr's.

regards,
KAM