I started writing SA rules about a year ago. Although I am new to this list, I have been lurking for quite a while. I would like to thank Kevin McGrail and others for providing rules and tips that inspires me to write my own custom rules.

Today I wrote a little tool that helps me test my SA rules. I was using Rubular.com to check one pattern at a time which was very tedious. With my new tool, I can paste my entire rule.cf file (or just a one rule) and check against any test string to see which rules hit. (operates like a multi-line version of Rubular)

I hope some of you find this tool useful. I wrote it because I couldn't find another one like it in google. If there is something better at testing SA rules like this, please let me know so I don't waste any further development efforts. If it is useful, ideas and suggestions will be heartily appreciated.

www.satester.com

It's a one page site created in one day, so it doesn't look like much right now. We might style it better later on. There is no database and we save nothing entered into the site. It ignores meta, score, and describe at this time (any line without regex in it) Simply paste in a rule and enter some sample text and it automatically highlights the hits.

I notice a couple of bugs already. I've seen an odd rule hit on one of our span tags used for highlighting sample results. Also I need to add mimeheader to the list of lines that contain regex to be checked (along with header, body, rawbody, etc.)

Hope you enjoy!

Allen Marsalis
President, Bandwise LLC
am -at- satester dot com