On 24-08-15 18:34, Joseph Brennan wrote:

> Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> example
>> the displayed version in mail might be www.example.com, but the actual
>> URI when you highlight or click on it, is foobar.example.net
>

> The most common case is that the text shows the real web page, but the
> link goes to a click counter page that redirects to the real web page.
> This is usually not spam but wanted list mail from Mail Chimp, Constant
> Contact, and friends.

That is why all those messages actually don't use a URL in the text, but
a regular textual description:

BAD: <a href="http://redirector.tld?go=acme.com";>acme.com</a>

GOOD: <a href="http://redirector.tld?go=acme.com";>Visit ACME website</a>

Basically every MUA I know will label the message as a possible scam
when you use the BAD version, which why you actually never see it in
non-spam mail, unless the editor was a real noob. I have no recent
experience with MailChimp and friends, but I hope they're educating
users to use the GOOD version.

So a clear spam indicator for me.

Regards,
        Tom