Am 11.09.2015 um 18:12 schrieb Benny Pedersen:
Ian Zimmerman skrev den 2015-09-11 18:05:

I appreciate you trying to help, but you don't really answer my
question.  Even if I could do what you suggest, the rsync would still
take finite time - longer than the interval between the upgrade and the
restart on the production system.

if you recently upgraded:

sa-update
... more sa-update if you use custom channels
sa-compile

restart spamd or other glues

sa-compile is only need if you use the plugin

put it all in a bash file and run whenever its needed in cron, but not
more then daily

there is no reason to fiddle around with cron, on distributions with as you call it "precompiled problems" it's taken care that:

a) sa-update runs once per day
b) on a random timeframe to not overload upstream servers
   compared all installations doing it at the same moment
c) restart the service *only* if there where updates