On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 08:21:15 -0700
Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> On 2015-08-14 17:45 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
> > >Can I safely upgrade SA from 3.4.0 to 3.4.1 without changing any
> > >local configuration files, and without regenerating the Bayes
> > >database?  (I use the default bdb Bayes store.)
> >
> > yes, but you need to run "sa-update" before restart to fetch the
> > latest rules and hopefully have a distribution which restarts
> > automatically after update the package
>
> Isn't this a contradiction?  If my distribution automatically restarts
> (which it does), how can I sneak in a sa-update run after the upgrade
> but before the restart?

You need a restart to run the new software or pickup new rules. You
don't need to avoid a restart between a package update and a rule
update.

If you are running sa-update from cron you  don't really need to run it
manually unless you are updating from a very old version that didn't
support sa-update or no longer receives updates.