Hi Dave,

you are right: That is a measurement of "how fast is my ISP's cache?". But literally, that's all I want: I do not want "better" DNS results than I got from my ISPs DNS servers so far. I'd like to keep up the benefit of using a large DNS cache, without blocking these resources on my host. My ISPs DNS servers are dedicated to resolve and cache the results. Why shouldn't I make use of these cached data, but build up an own pool of cached data for a second time, blocking resources on my machine, which can make good use of these resources for another workload? Also, this caches are preserved when my machines are restarted. And WHY these results are faster provided is technically an unfair comparison, yes, but summed up to what's important for my case it isn't.

All I want is to make queries to the DNSBL services on my own and not using my ISPs servers, since these have drained their free contingent all the time.

That's why I have tried to configure bind as suggested at http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CachingNameserver#Non-forwarding , but this seems not to work.

Best regards,
Marc