On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 13:39:49 +0000
David Jones wrote:

> >From: RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com>

> >    by ms-10.1blu.de with esmtpsa
> > (TLS1.0:DHE_RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1:32)
>
> >This is a submission header, so the DNS of 93.104.16.254 doesn't
> >matter.
>
> Thank you for pointing that out.  Also now that we know that SA is
> running on a local netbook, it would make sense that the problem
> server is 178.254.4.77.  It's SMTP HELO is imap.1blu.de but it's
> forward and reverse DNS is mf-13.1blu.de.

That wont be a problem, a fetchmail header cannot be recognised as the
edge of the internal network. It's not a test for full-circle DNS. And
as I pointed out, the next header down was the one that triggered
RDNS_NONE in the absence of any trusted or internal network.

> Interesting that this
> Received header was added via IMAP.
>
> That IP or subnet could be added to the trusted_networks list if
> it's always going to be in there.  If it's the ISP's hosting mail
> server then it needs to be skipped to get back to the first public IP
> that sent to smtp.1blu.de.  The server before smtp.1blu.de should
> be the one where all of the network checks are done.

There shouldn't be any such tests on this email because it was submitted
directly into the service provider's network.

This means that the mail passed though a different route compared to
normal delivery. Getting the internal/trusted networks right for this
kind of mail is of often significantly more difficult than dealing with
the normal case, and may be more trouble than it's worth on a
network you don't control.

A test email that's sent through a third-party mail service is much more
representative as a test.

> https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/RDNS_NONE
>
> RDNS_NONE checks more than just the PTR (reverse) DNS record.
> It really should be named FCRDNS_NONE

Then the wiki is wrong.

  header __RDNS_NONE  X-Spam-Relays-External =~ /^[^\]]+rdns= /

  header __DOMINO_RCVD      Received =~ /by \S+ \(Lotus Domino /
  header __CGATE_RCVD       Received =~ /by \S+ \(CommuniGate Pro/

  meta RDNS_NONE      (__RDNS_NONE && !__CGATE_RCVD && !__DOMINO_RCVD)