Hey Bowie

spamassassin is working - I've sent the GTUBE email through the system from
my gmail account and it was marked and delivered into junk box.

Was not sure which of the site wide local.cf files I should put the
all_user_rules flag in so I put it in both.

I did run your suggested cmd $ spamassassin -D --lint 2>&1 | grep local.cf
AND GOT a lot of output with I think I should not have since the inclusion
of the grep pattern filter.
I'm not sure that cmd is what you want.
I read the command as Run spamassassin WITH OPTIONS -D and --lint 2  SEND
output to NOT SURE HERE.  In this context is I'm not sure what &1 means.
BUT the output should be sent a pipe to grep and filter on the patter
local.cf.   Perhaps my interpretation is wrong.   Anyway it didn't appear
to tell me anything about the source of the config file.  It did list all
the rules that are enabled.  That's cool.

I looked at the permission of the user_prefs file and for ownership and
group-ownership it is root root.  should it be debian-spamd debian-spamd?
I did change one of the conf files from nobody to debian-spamd for
ownership.

Amanda