Am 17.02.2016 um 00:47 schrieb Amanda Giarla:
I don't think I was trying to make a global user_prefs file BUT in my
confusion I may accidentally have implied such.
The user_prefs file is located at
/home/clientAccount/.spamassassin/user_prefs.   Is that considered global?

no, but then there is no point that it is owned by root or debian-spamd

we still don't know how SA is called in your setup

example:
in case of spamass-milter there would be only one user (the milter user) which means pretty much the same as a site-wide setup

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 3:39 PM, RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com
<mailto:rwmailli...@googlemail.com>> wrote:

    On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 14:17:02 -0800
    Amanda Giarla wrote:

    > I looked at the permission of the user_prefs file and for ownership
    > and group-ownership it is root root.  should it be debian-spamd
    > debian-spamd? I did change one of the conf files from nobody to
    > debian-spamd for ownership.

    Having a global user_prefs is pretty much pointless. The point of the
    file is that there is one per email account - either
    ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs for unix mail accounts or a custom location
    for virtual accounts