On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, John Hardin wrote:

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Dianne Skoll wrote:

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 13:03:44 -0800
Marc Perkel <supp...@junkemailfilter.com> wrote:

Thanks for the response. I'm in the spam filtering business and I'm
wondering what I can use (from the command line?) to detect if a PDF
has any kind of script attached that would be executable. that way I
might block based on what's embedded in a PDF.

There are tools.  Google is your friend.

However, many legitimate PDF files contain Javascript snippets.  Blocking
solely on that basis will lead to many FPs.

I'd argue the "legitimate" part of that statement... :)

Many editable PDF forms use javascript for input validation, like most of the PDF forms you can download from irs.gov. (I'm not going to get in an argument with you about how "legitimate" the IRS is ;)

Sounds to me like it should be: block any PDF with javascript/flash/java with whitelisted bypass.

What sane MTA accepts bare executable attachments from the Internet at large any more? The same policy should apply to PDFs.

Don't tell me you've never seen HTML e-mail with embedded javascript?
Some content creators think that e-mail should be a full-fledged HTML page.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>