I have a particular server running spamd which uses bayes every time I test it by hand, but apparently never when it goes through exim/spamd.

I run everything (both the spamd daemon and the manual tests) as user spamd. I checked the permissions on the bayes database. I use a global bayes database in /var/spool/spamd/bayes/. I ran "spamassassin -D --lint" - and I get no failures - both as root and as the user spamd.

In spite of all of the above, it looks pretty clear that bayes is only used when I run an email manually through spamassassin, but not when it goes from exim through spamd.

Here is the report when ran from the command line:

 pts rule name              description
 2.0 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
                            [score: 0.5000]
0.0 HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_06 BODY: HTML has a low ratio of text to image area
 0.0 HTML_FONT_LOW_CONTRAST BODY: HTML font color similar or identical to
                            background
 0.8 MPART_ALT_DIFF         BODY: HTML and text parts are different
 0.0 T_KAM_HTML_FONT_INVALID BODY: Test for Invalidly Named or Formatted
                            Colors in HTML
 0.7 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
0.1 DKIM_SIGNED Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily valid 0.2 RDNS_NONE Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS
 0.0 T_DKIM_INVALID         DKIM-Signature header exists but is not valid
0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY Informational: message has unparseable relay lines
 0.0 LOTS_OF_MONEY          Huge... sums of money
 1.5 SUBJ_ILLEGAL_CHARS     Subject: has too many raw illegal characters
 0.0 MIME_HTML_ONLY_MULTI   Multipart message only has text/html MIME parts
 0.0 SUBJECT_NEEDS_ENCODING Subject is encoded but does not specify the
                            encoding

And here is the report included in the same email message when it comes through exim:

  pts rule name              description
  0.7 MPART_ALT_DIFF         BODY: HTML and text parts are different
0.0 HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_06 BODY: HTML has a low ratio of text to image area
  0.0 HTML_FONT_LOW_CONTRAST BODY: HTML font color similar or identical to
                             background
  0.0 T_KAM_HTML_FONT_INVALID BODY: Test for Invalidly Named or Formatted
                             Colors in HTML
  1.1 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
-0.1 DKIM_VALID Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature -0.1 DKIM_VALID_AU Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from author's
                             domain
0.1 DKIM_SIGNED Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily valid
  0.0 LOTS_OF_MONEY          Huge... sums of money
0.2 RDNS_NONE Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS 0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY Informational: message has unparseable relay lines 0.0 MIME_HTML_ONLY_MULTI Multipart message only has text/html MIME parts

Bayes is clearly not being used when it goes through spamd. Does anybody know what could be causing this?