On Fri, 2016-09-23 at 17:10 -0400, btb wrote:
> On 2016.09.23 16.16, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2016-09-23 at 18:43 +0100, RW wrote:
> > >
> > > Right, but the question here is why isn't a forwarding server also a
> > > recursive server? Why is the use of iteration the defining feature of
> > > a recursive server and not the support for recursion.
> > http://serverfault.com/questions/661821/what-s-the-difference-between-recursion-and-forwarding-in-bind
> this is bad information.  it's unfortunate it has a green check mark
> next to it.  at least it only has a 6 though.

What do you think is bad about it? I've been working with DNS for 20
years and this is about as straightforward an explanation of the
difference as I can think of, and jibes with my understanding. Am I
misinformed?

<http://www.techexams.net/forums/net-infra-70-291/29238-dns-recursion-forwarding.html>
says pretty much the same thing. Is this also bad information?

Or how about
<https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-bind-as-a-caching-or-forwarding-dns-server-on-ubuntu-14-04>?

What this article defines as a "caching" name server is rather the same
as a recursive server, but the definition of a forwarding server is the
same - basically a proxy server.

Programmers don't like the use of the term "recursion" when applied to
a name server, but the word has a general meaning that can be applied
in a lot of contexts, some of them in a variety of IT fields.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "We have met the enemy and he is us."
FMP Computer Services |