I know this hot potato has been discussed before - but I'm afraid it's back to haunt me and I can't fathom it out. I'm getting again different bayes results if I test a message on the command line, compared to it going through exim -> spamassassin.

The header of the message received in the Inbox contains the following report:

  pts rule name              description
  0.4 STOX_REPLY_TYPE        No description available.
  3.0 DATE_IN_FUTURE_03_06   Date: is 3 to 6 hours after Received: date
  3.2 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
                             [score: 0.5000]
0.0 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars 0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY Informational: message has unparseable relay lines
  1.8 STOX_REPLY_TYPE_WITHOUT_QUOTES No description available.
  2.1 FREEMAIL_FORGED_REPLYTO Freemail in Reply-To, but not From

While if I test it on the command line (spamc -R < /test_message.eml), I get really different results:

ontent analysis details:   (20.2 points, 4.2 required)

 pts rule name              description
 4.9 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%
                            [score: 1.0000]
 0.4 STOX_REPLY_TYPE        No description available.
 3.0 DATE_IN_FUTURE_03_06   Date: is 3 to 6 hours after Received: date
 8.0 BAYES_999              BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99.9 to 100%
                            [score: 1.0000]
 0.0 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE      RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars
0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY Informational: message has unparseable relay lines
 1.8 STOX_REPLY_TYPE_WITHOUT_QUOTES No description available.
 2.1 FREEMAIL_FORGED_REPLYTO Freemail in Reply-To, but not From

On the command line it is hitting BAYES_99 and BAYES_999 - while through Exim it doesn't. I know the first thing is to look for is file permissions for the bayes databases. I've checked them. Also, I have spamassassin listening on a TCP port - and both Exim and spamc connect to it this way (I believe) - so permissions shouldn't make a difference between the two methods of testing the email - is that correct?

Also, I use a site-wide bayes database - so only one set of files.

I'm running spamd under the "spamd" user - which owns the bayes database files and directory:

/usr/bin/spamd -d -l --pidfile=/var/run/spamd/spamd.pid --username=spamd

What could possibly account for the large discrepancy in bayes results?