On 2/1/2017 12:56 AM, Dave Warren wrote:
They publish SPF records and DKIM sign everything for competent SMTP
receivers to handle in real-time, AND they publish a HTML version for
humans, and yet someone still finds a reason to complain?

Dave,

After the initial question was raised, it took about 11 posts and almost 24 hours for someone to notice the discussion who happened to know about the "HTML version for humans" and mention that. During those 11 posts, a well-respected and knowledgeable person was actually defending Yahoo for NOT having such a page, which gave the impression that such didn't exist. (certainly, that was a head-fake that I fell for, even if such was very innocent)

So I think there is a strong argument that the existence of this page page isn't exactly common knowledge. Archive.org suggests that this page has only existed for a couple of years. I've been looking for it (occasionally) for the past 10 years - so I think all my memories of past discussions in past years about such a page not existing - were probably accurate. By the time this page existed, I had given up on finding it. (not that I spend every waking hour looking for it - I think I probably looked for it about once every year or two - for some time - and the need for this isn't so great with other senders - because few senders [even large ones] have such a MASSIVE amount of sending IPs that are so particularly hard to find)

Regarding your references about such a page not being needed - all I'm going to say is that some systems benefit from having large IP ranges preemptively whitelisted for the sake of efficiency. There are scenarios in certain very high volume systems where this enables the processing of messages at order of magnitudes faster rates than if SPF and DKIM and FCrDNS-confirmation had to be checked on every sending IP. MUCH of that relies on the response times of 3rd party servers - which (even at best!) is order of magnitudes slower than a local rbldnsd query - or than an optimized binary search of an in-memory array - which is even faster than rbldnsd or even a high-end in-memory database. Sometimes, such 3rd party servers can "freeze up" in their responses, or rate limit queries - or firewall such lookups for what is perceived as abuse - causing further complications. Caching only does so much to prevent this!

That kind of need for speed is the world in which I live. At invaluement, I'm processing dozens of spams per second - and since much of these are ones where the "low-hanging fruit" - such as ALREADY heavily blacklisted botnet-sent spams are ALREADY filtered out before they get to my system - that means that the processing resources per spam is already much higher for my system than that of a typical ISP or hoster's natural incoming spam. (I process a higher concentration of the more sneaky spams and the newer emitters)

With this in mind... if I deleted my IP whitelist, and had to rely on SPF and DKIM and FCrDNS-verification for EVERY message, my queues would back up considerably - and a lot of worthy blacklistings of IPs and domains from new incoming spams would get considerably delayed. (again, inevitably - at this volume - issues come up where such queries/verification suddenly "freeze up" or get rate limited, firewalled, etc)

And I think my need for efficiency is probably not much different than some very large hosters and ISPs - who process mail for millions of users?

And I think we've already established that there is no possible way to generate "on demand" and remotely efficiently the information on that HTML page just via Yahoo's SPF records.

iow - maybe you should have a little more respect and try to be a little less snarky in the future - when you don't necessarily know/understand others' situation/requirements that may be a little different than your particular situation/requirements.

--
Rob McEwen