From: RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com>

>On Fri, 5 May 2017 14:51:32 +0000
>David Jones wrote:

>> >I know. I do not want to validate the envelope from with DKIM. I
>> >just want to know if the mail was DKIM-VALID signed by the DOMAIN
>> >used in the envelopefrom.
>>
>> >So the only thing I want with the envelop from is to extract the
>> >domain and test if the mail was DKIM signed (and valid) by that
>> >domain.
>>
>> >This tells me the envelope from is not some random spoofed address,
>> >but actually controlled by someone who handled the e-mail before it
>> >arrived at our mta.
>>
>> This actually would be a very useful rule/logic to add to SA:
>>
>> https://blog.returnpath.com/why-passing-and-aligning-both-spf-and-dkim-is-key-to-email-deliverability/

>So what would be the point in running a separate DKIM test against the
>envelope if you are looking for alignment.

I don't think this would be a separate DKIM test necessarily.  It should be a
combination of SPF_PASS + DKIM_VALID_AU + the envelope-from matches
the DKIM-signed domain.  This is basically perfect DMARC alignment where
the domain has "p=reject" and DMARC would pass meaning the domain was
not spoofed.

>> When both align, it should be a very good candidate for whitelist_auth
>> based on the sender domain reputation.

>If it passes DKIM and the domain has a good reputation then what
>difference would alignment make.

Proper security in any context checks both authorization and authentication.
This is SPF and DKIM respectively in the email filtering context.  Spammers
can get control of a compromised account and send a valid DKIM-signed email
through that email server that would pass SPF with an envelope-from of
example.com and DKIM signature of example.net (or some domain they had
DNS control of like paypa1.com).  If it passed DKIM_VALID_AU then the visible
From: address in the recipient's mail client would show example.net or
paypa1.com.

Would I trust example.com or example.net in the above scenario?  Which
would be added to whitelist_auth?  The authorized email was from
example.com but the authenticated email was from example.net.  The
DMARC standard says that either SPF or DKIM has to pass for a DMARC
pass based on that link above.  The point of that link is to align both for
best delivery results.

I am just saying that it would be nice if SA had a rule that hit when both
matched which is perfect DMARC alignment.  Today I am able to get close
to this using OpenDMARC to add headers then with custom rules to add
DMARC_NONE, DMARC_PASS, or DMARC_FAIL.  I think I would have to
write a simple SA plugin to compare the envelope-from with the DKIM
signature domain to see if they matched then I could use a meta rule
to glue all of this together.

Dave