From: David Jones [mailto:djo...@ena.com]
Sent: Friday, July 7, 2017 11:15 AM
To: Charles Amstutz <charl...@infinitesys.com>; 'users@spamassassin.apache.org'
<users@spamassassin.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Random word spams and wiki spams

On 07/07/2017 11:04 AM, Charles Amstutz wrote:
> Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I will look into it. One thing
> I've noticed is that sometimes it takes a day for any *BL's to pick up
> some of the spam, and by that time, the run could be done. Greylisting
> isn't an option. It sometimes feels like always reactive vs pro-active
> in filtering.  For example, I try to block the old runs of "Ford
> Warranties", write a few rules, then never receive them again :)
>
> This is a slight over exaggeration, but close.

No. I completely understand.  A couple of years ago I was doing the same thing
always reacting to new spam campaigns.  It took a lot of my time and I never
felt like I was winning those one-day battles.

Now I have tuned my MTA (Postfix with postscreen) to reject the majority of
junk before it ever reaches SA.  See the archives for these Postscreen weighted
RBLs if you are running Postfix.  With about 24 RBLs including invaluement, I
am able to be aggressive with many RBLs adding up to a block threshold of 8 in
postscreen.

On the other side of this, you have to setup postwhite to whitelist major mail
providers like comcast.net, aol, google, yahoo.com, etc. and let SA score them.

Now I rarely get any reports of spam getting through unless it's from a
compromised account.  These will always be difficult to block for zero-hour
spam campaigns from botnets.

Also, setup the KAM.cf rules and extra signatures for ClamAV from Sanesecurity.
 These often help with new spam campaigns.  I can post which signature DBs I am
using if that would be helpful.

--
Dave