On Wed, 2017-09-20 at 00:40 +0100, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-09-19 at 16:44 -0500, Chris wrote:
> >

> > Thanks Martin, here's what I get, it appears to not be running.
> >
> > sudo systemctl stop dnsmasq
> > [sudo] password for chris:
> > Failed to stop dnsmasq.service: Unit dnsmasq.service not loaded.
> >
> OK, that makes sense
>

> > sudo systemctl disable dnsmasq
> > Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory
> >
> That's interesting: I've never seen that before:
>
> Here's what I see of I enable dnsmasq, check its status, disable it
> and
> check status again:
>
> $ sudo systemctl enable dnsmasq
> Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-
> user.target.wants/dnsmasq.service →
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service.
>
> $ sudo systemctl status dnsmasq
> ● dnsmasq.service - DNS caching server.
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; enabled;
> vendor preset: disabled)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>
> $ sudo systemctl disable dnsmasq
> Removed /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dnsmasq.service.
>
> $ sudo systemctl status dnsmasq
> ● dnsmasq.service - DNS caching server.
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; disabled;
> vendor preset: disabled)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>
> This is a Fedora 25 system which I use, amongst other things, as my
> SA
> and test system. My live Postfix and SA are on another system which
> runs named. I don't use dnsmasq at all but it turns out to be part of
> the standard software installed by F25.
>
> It would be interesting to know what 'systemctl status' shows on your
> system, though its quite possible it looks similar to what 'systemctl
> disable' showed. I can only guess that your system is a transitional
> systemd setup, i.e. systemctl is used for service management but some
> services (dnsmasq for one) are still running under the old systemV
> init
> scripts. Fedora installations used to work that way for some
> services,
> but that was a few versions ago (F21 or 22 at the latest).
>

> Martin

Hi Martin, here's what I see:

sudo systemctl status dnsmasq
[sudo] password for chris:
● dnsmasq.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)
chris@localhost:~$ sudo systemctl enable dnsmasq
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory
chris@localhost:~$ sudo systemctl status dnsmasq
● dnsmasq.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

I then installed dnsmasq (apparently it wasn't installed)

Results are here - https://pastebin.com/MRR4NCMp

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C