On Tue, 2017-09-19 at 23:04 -0400, Bill Cole wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2017, at 22:36, Chris wrote:

> > > frankly clean up your mess - you recently posted dnsmasq as well
> > > as
> > > named listening on different interfaces for DNS, now you say
> > > dnsmasq
> > > was
> > > not installed
> > Will do, sorry for all the noise the last few days. I'll see if I
> > can
> > figure this out myself.
> Everyone here started clueless and when we obtained a little
> knowledge, got dangerous: mostly to ourselves. No apologies needed.

Thanks Bill, I guess in my 68yrs I've really gotten dangerous.

> You have clearly done something on your system that confuse the
> specific problem you're having with SpamAssassin. I suspect the root
> issue is installing dnsmasq from the upstream source distribution
> (and maybe BIND also?) rather than using the Debian/Ubuntu package(s)
> via the apt and/or dpkg tools. That's not an uncommon class of
> mistake, but it is an especially risky move on a systemd-managed
> platform and especially on anything Debian-based because Debian makes
> substantial changes to some open source software which can cause
> unusual problems which are unique to the platform. The bottom line:
> on Ubuntu, use the Ubuntu software installation tools and do not try
> to install anything from upstream source that has a Ubuntu package.

Both BIND and last night dnsmasq were installed via apt and dnsmasq was
removed via apt remove and apt purge. In fact I make it a point to
install packages via apt unless it can't be helped such as the beta of
fetchmail I'm currently running. The odd/bad thing about this whole
mess is that the issue of queries to isipp and bb.barracuda have been
going on for quite awhile now. I just finally decided to try and do
something about it. The issue with the isipp query going to the
incorrect ip only started a few days ago though.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C