On Mon, 2 Oct 2017, David Jones wrote:

On 09/27/2017 09:52 AM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> I recently stumbled onto a mail with a Spam link where the FROM header > field looked like this: > > From: "Firstname Lastname@" <recipient-domain.com > sendern...@real-senders-domain.com>

 Jakob, just wanted to let you know I identified this issue as well and
 just opened a ticket about it yesterday to try and figure out a rule
 against it.  Can you send me spamples via pastebin, please?

 Regards,
 KAM

I am seeing this more and more on my SA filters and being reported by my customers:

https://pastebin.com/f07Gq1kZ

https://pastebin.com/FMsJNGba

This is catching this pretty well so far:

header FROM_SPOOF_EMAIL_DISPLAY From =~ /\@[a-z_]+?\.[a-z]{2,3} \</i describe FROM_SPOOF_EMAIL_DISPLAY From trying to spoof an email address in the display name

You probably want to let SA do the header parsing and write your rule against From:name or From:addr instead.

If you're testing your rules in a sandbox using debug mode, this may help:

  header   __FROM_NAME  From:name =~ /.*/
  header   __FROM_ADDR  From:addr =~ /.*/

That way you can see what's actually being parsed from the header.

Potentially this might be as simple as:

  header  __FROM_MAYBE_SPOOF      From:name =~ /\w@\w/

or

  header  __FROM_MULTIPLE_ADDR    From:addr =~ /\s/

No idea how FP-prone those might be, though, so it's probably prudent to meta them with other stuff as well...

  If you ask amateurs to act as front-line security personnel,
  you shouldn't be surprised when you get amateur security.
                                                    -- Bruce Schneier
 186 days since the first commercial re-flight of an orbital booster (SpaceX)