On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 08:51, Colin Fraser <colin.fra...@levelfour.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to migrate an existing repository from CVS into SVN and I've been
> trying to find concrete examples of capacity limits.
>
> Our workflow is to create private branches for bug fixing, feature
> development, RC testing etc so we end up with a lot of branches and tags over
> time - CVS is now struggling to support this (time taken to branch is hours).
>  I've seen plenty examples given about the physical size or number of commits
> supported in an SVN repository, but nothing about the number of branches and
> tags that can be supported.
>
> Basically I'm concerned about performance degradation over time if we
> continue to create many branches.  The numbers I'm talking about are around
> 2000 branches and 3000 tags, increasing by about 500 per year.
>
> Any information or links appreciated.

Subversion branches and tags are just specially-named copies (you
don't even have to call them "branch" or "tag" if you don't want).
Copies in Subversion are cheap - each will take maybe 1KB of space.
See http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.using.html

You shouldn't have the same trouble in SVN as you've had in CVS.