On Mar 1, 2011, at 07:51, Colin Fraser wrote:

> I'm looking to migrate an existing repository from CVS into SVN and I've been
> trying to find concrete examples of capacity limits.
>
> Our workflow is to create private branches for bug fixing, feature
> development, RC testing etc so we end up with a lot of branches and tags over
> time - CVS is now struggling to support this (time taken to branch is hours).
>  I've seen plenty examples given about the physical size or number of commits
> supported in an SVN repository, but nothing about the number of branches and
> tags that can be supported.
>
> Basically I'm concerned about performance degradation over time if we
> continue to create many branches.  The numbers I'm talking about are around
> 2000 branches and 3000 tags, increasing by about 500 per year.
>
> Any information or links appreciated.

There isn't a limit, that I'm aware of. One of the big advances in Subversion
over CVS is that branches and tags are implemented differently, and can be
created in a short more or less constant amount of time. In Subversion, they're
just ordinary directories, and there's not a limit on that in Subversion either.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.forcvs.branches-and-tags.html

Having thousands of items in a directory that's checked out can be problematic,
but you presumably won't be trying to check out all thousands of your tags at
once, so that should be fine.

I also wouldn't expect you to keep those thousands of branches around. Feature
branches -- those created for bugfixes or new features -- should be deleted (or
at least moved to an archive directory) once they've been merged into the trunk.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.commonpatterns.html#svn.branchmerge.commonpatterns.feature