On 10/27/11 14:57, Mark Phippard wrote:
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Attila Nagy <b...@fsn.hu
<mailto:b...@fsn.hu>> wrote:

    ZFS.
    It it worth to make benchmarks with this WC with 1.6 and 1.7? I so,
    I can try to find the time for it.

There are some pretty easy to run benchmarks you can run to see if 1.7
is simply slower in your environment.  See:

https://ctf.open.collab.net/sf/projects/csvn/

If those benchmarks show 1.7 is slower for you, then that would point to
issues with the 1.7 changes in your environment.  As I mentioned
earlier, and as an example, these benchmarks show that 1.7 is slower
with WC on a network mount.

If the benchmarks show 1.7 is faster, then we could focus on scalability
issues that your working copy raises.  Maybe inefficient indexes or
something like that.
It turned out that not updating which is much slower (however I can't really comment on the exact numbers now), but the propgets. To understand this: as I've mentioned, I store operating system images in svn, so I have to reproduce owner and permission information too. Therefore I store them in svn properties and re-create them as needed on updates.

I use pysvn for this and basically the code looks like this (in python):
def update_perms():
    for path in propchg:
        proplist = svn.propget('file:permissions', path)
        if not os.path.islink(path) and proplist.has_key(path):
            set_perms(path, proplist[path])
svn.update(walkroot)
update_perms()

The svn update collects the changed entries (propchg) and update_perms iterates on them and gets their file:permissions property and sets it in the file system.

And this is what takes ages (literally), compared to 1.6.
Any ideas about what could be done in this topic?

I will try to make more specific numbers if needed.