On 08/27/2014 04:15 PM, Andreas Krey wrote:
The difference being that anybody can accidentally do a rm -rf on the
part after the file - anybody who can work with the repo.

(...)

When you have a machine to place thefile://  to, you also have
something to run a server on.

If the machine you place the file:// is the same where you can accidentallly do a rm -rf, accessing the file:// through a server won't help you with that problem.

Additionally, to those security-concious people, installing servers on your workstation just to access local repositories isn't exactly on the top of best practices. Don't you agree?

And I hate to repeat myself, but I'll repeat for the third time this question: if file:// is not intended to be used, then what are the available options for those who need a version control system and can't set up a server?