On Aug 27, 2014, at 8:41 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Zé <jose.pas...@gmx.com> wrote:
>>>

>> And I hate to repeat myself, but I'll repeat for the third time this
>> question: if file:// is not intended to be used, then what are the available
>> options for those who need a version control system and can't set up a
>> server?
>
> The answer isn't going to change, no matter how many times we repeat
> it.  Subversion works with file:// access, but it can't protect you
> from all the other ways that the filesystem allows write access and it
> can't work that way without write access...

I would like to point out that this is not a subversion-only situation. A git
repository that uses direct file access for push/pull activities would suffer
the same risk of permissions flipping. The problem is with the direct file
access method when multiple users (UIDs) need access to the same set of files.