On 8/13/2016 12:29 PM, Adam Jensen wrote:
On 08/13/2016 02:21 PM, David Chapman wrote:
On 8/13/2016 11:07 AM, Adam Jensen wrote:
When a branch is created, are the files under revision control in the
trunk copied to the branch (is there any duplication of files in the
repository)?
No, the files are not copied; a rename is stored.  These are "cheap
copies", and this is an advantage over simple backups - if you want to
save history using backups (per another suggestion), you need to retain
one backup per significant event.  That can add up.
Thanks! That's a critical issue for my case where there is a large &
growing core data-set and where it might be useful to have hundreds of
branches, each representing a particular configuration of a subset,
slice, or view of the core data-set.

Subversion is most often used to store text files because it stores
intra-file deltas when content is modified.  Your use case is unusual,
but as long as you don't make a lot of changes to the binary files, it
will be efficient.
Thanks [again] for the [vindicating] confirmation. I am inspired to set
up a test case and explore this approach further :)

Since, in my case, the binary files should/must never change, is there a
way to configure a read-only attribute on specific files in the
repository such that any subsequent attempt to check-in a change to any
of those files will be rejected and an alert raised? The directory
structures should remain changeable.

I don't know about an attribute, but you could define a hook script that would check the files being committed to ensure that no existing large binary files are being modified. I haven't done any work with hook scripts for several years, so I'll have to let someone else assist if you have more questions.

--
    David Chapman      dcchap...@acm.org
    Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA