>  Now that is interesting. 40k doesn't seem to be such a large amount of data
> for modern computers. Very slow and fragmented hard drive? Or perhaps there's
> something else going on that is manifesting this way?

The HDD is indeed on the slowside, and together with low memory...

But I think this also show how I/O intensive SVN is. On the client side, for
each committed file, one copy is placed in .svn folder, and an other copy in a
temporary folder (which is deleted after file transfer in v1.9). So for each
file committed, a double copy is made client-side. This temporary copy is
really necessary?

Server-side, I see similar disk bashing. For each committed file, max 2 (?)
copies are made in the transaction directory.

So any way to reduce the I/O?