I'm not sure what version this change happened in, but I used to be able to have my /home directory mounted and use subversion commands in my home directory, even though the .svn directory exists at /.svn

But, today, I installed a new server, and whenever I use subversion inside my home directory, I get:

/home/mail#svn copy svn+ssh://svn@ASDASDASD .
svn: E155009: Failed to run the WC DB work queue associated with '/home/mail',
work item 3470 (file-install home/mail/.no-spam-check 1 0 1 1)
svn: E000018: Can't move '/.svn/tmp/svn-U1XHuf' to '/home/mail/.no-spam-check':
Invalid cross-device link

Is there a way to make subversion not assume its tmp directory is on the same disk as the working directory?