On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 8:05 AM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 14.01.2024 20:52, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 2:27 PM sean <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:
>
> On 2024-01-13 16:11, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
> There are not many compelling reasons
> to use Subversion anymore, except the ability to check out only
> subdirectories from a branch and the insistence that a single central
> repository is the only source of truth.
>
> The ability to `svn lock` files is very useful if your repo has a lot of
> non-mergeable files, like say MS Office documents.

That's what a git tag is for, or a distinct and locked down repo in a submodule.

> I have never once found that feature to be useful since I first used
> Subversion back around 2001.  Mind you, I'd treat Word documents as
> binaries objects and not consider them suitable for incremental
> changes in a source control system.
>

> X: There's this useful feature that <bar> has but <foo> doesn't.
> Y: I've never used that feature so it's useless.
>
> You gotta love that kind of reasoning.

Not quite. The lack of any requirement for it in more than 20 years of
professional support of environments which used it, all of which have
now migrated to git, indicates that it's not a popular feature. It's
also a practice that can be duplicated by other means.