On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 3:03 AM Olivier Sannier <oliv...@obones.com> wrote:

> Partial checkouts are somewhat possible with GIT but what is preventing me
> from migrating our repository is the lack of svn:external mechanism.
> I don't want multirepos, and even then submodules are to be updated manually
> everytime where svn:external are automatically up to date.
> And ideally, I would also need file externals support even if I could settle
> for folder external if that's all there is.
> I looked a various solutions but none where as easy to use for developers
> than externals when doing a "svn update" at the root of the checkout.
>
> That being said, I'd be quite happy to be proven wrong.

It's not a built-in. There are tools that have wrapped in
automatically updating subdirectories with git repos, such as
Terraform submodules. Terraform.... was written more to do one-time
checkouts in a CI/CD environment. It avoids the git submodule problem
of submodules being hooked to a particular commit, rather than an
easily updated branch by name, which requires a distinct update
procedure.  That is something that svn:externals handle a bit more
easily.