I'm new to Tapestry and have just started working with it.  My background is
WebObjects so
most of my question will come from that perspective.

The application I'm developing will be doing some background processing with
the UI providing
monitoring and control functions.  In WebObjects, we would use an single
Application instance
that is created when the web application is first started. We would store the
objects required to
access and control the back ground processing.  This Application instance is
then available in
in each request-response loop through a Session object, or through a global
static method.

Is this same model provided by the ApplicationServlet class in Tapestry?  Is
there a single instance
of this object and if so, how can I get it?  Is it common practice to subclass
this class and
then do all your own application specific logic in the derived class?

Thanks,
Dave.